Shadow of the Colossus is a remake of the original game of the same name by Bluepoint Games for the Playstation 4. The remake was first revealed at E3 2017. Rather than being a remaster, the 2018 game is a complete remake from the ground up with high-definition art assets and an updated control scheme, while still retaining the same gameplay as the original.
- New Game+ is added to allow the player to transfer Health and Stamina increases, Items and access to Time Attack to different difficulties.
- There is now an Easy Mode.
- A Mirrored World has been added and can be unlocked after clearing the game for the first time. (e.g: Wander will now wield the Ancient Sword on his left rather than his right)
- A new collectible has been added; Coins. A counter will appear at the bottom left corner of the map to indicate the amount of coins already collected.
- A new function called Photo Mode is added, where players can take commemorative shots at the game's scenery. It is also possible to take photos during cutscenes and battles.
- It is possible to change the filter and lighting of the game. Options include Sepia, Night and Reminiscence.
- A stats menu has been added to allow players to see miscellaneous things such as distance travelled on or off Agro, amount of times certain colossi have been defeated and the fastest time, and special items collected, etc.
- The game's HUD can be customized to display certain aspects at certain times.
- Another easter egg has been added, Goat paintings. Shining the sword to reveal the goats will change the light's color to black.
- Hard Mode is unlocked by default.
- The Game's world, while still maintaining the same layout as the original are mostly new renders, with some obvious remodels on objects and structures. Some graphical comparison with the original game can be unlocked in the gallery.
- Time Attack rewards from Hard Mode can be carried over to lower difficulties and Vice Versa.
- The shaking of the Colossi and Wander's grip strength has been reworked, so he will shake a lot less compared to the PS3 version. A noticeable example is the amount of shaking that rattles Wander when he grabs on Argus's head.
- Some of the Time Attacks for certain Colossi have had their goals changed. While some like Valus have had their times shortened slightly, others, like Gaius and Phaedra, have had their times changed significantly.
- Agro's skins can now be changed via the Item selection menu.
- The process of saving the game has been changed.
- The game now auto-saves after defeating a colossus.
- Save shrines will now automatically save to the current save file, without a prompt.
- Saving can also be done manually through the pause menu. Though this can be done anywhere in the world, reloading such a save will return the player to the last save shrine they prayed at.
- The sounds made by all the Colossi have been changed.
- Setting functions are now more customizable. Some modes include Theatrical and Performance mode.
- It is possible to disable both the tutorial as well as Dormin's in-battle hints in the Settings menu.
- The Stamina bar now elongates to the left side of the screen in adjacency to Health Bar as opposed to growing in radius and overlapping other HUD elements. It is also yello in color instead of pink.
- The credits give a shoutout to Nomad Colossus, a Youtube user who has spent the past seven years from the remaster's release uploading various mods, hidden files, theories and other miscellaneous things of the game.
- White-tailed Lizards now make a unique sound to notify Wander of their presence.
- The map is more customizable. It is now possible to hide the icons for shrines prayed at and colossi defeated.
- The major sigil on Barba's head is centered and not offset to the left.
- After killing a colossus, Wander cannot toggle or use any of his weapons until he is sent back to the Shrine of Worship.
- While swimming, Wander now recovers stamina as he would if he was idle on land rather than recovering stamina by breaths.
- Agro can now be mounted from the rear.
- The Queen's Sword now radiates an electric-like aura when received. Additionally, it will make a unique sound when it is used to stab a colossus.
- New items will now have a Sigil sign at their left until they are selected.
- The Cloak of Deception now leaves a darker highlight of Wander to help inform the player where exactly he is.
The following is a list of all trophies players may earn in the Shadow of the Colossus (PS4).
|The Horned Boy||Acquired All Trophies|
|Speed King||Obtain All Time Attack Items Together as One Set|
|Intrepid Mortal||Max Out Wander's Health and Stamina Bars|
|Speed Demon||Complete Hard Mode Under 5:41:28 s|
|Grounded Scaler||Defeat Colossus 8 Before it can Turn Back Over|
|Resist the Wrist||Defeat Colossus 3 Without Breaking His Wrist guard|
|Reach the Gate||Cross the Bridge to the Entrance of The Forbidden Lands|
|Last Man Standing||Complete a Single Playthrough Without Dying Once|
|Bearer of the Curse||Complete the Game on any Difficulty|
|Dormin's Rage||Use Dormin's Breath Attack|
|Seeking Salvation||Pray at All Shrines|
|Trick Rider||Perform All Stunts With Agro|
|Fruit of the Garden||Taste the Poisoned Fruit|
|Sword of Her Majesty||Defeat any Colossus with Queen Sword|
|Paint the Target||Use the Sword to Focus on a Vital Point|
|Fruit of the Land||Eat a Piece of Fruit|
|Skilled Warrior||Defeat a Colossus with a Downward Jump Stab|
|The Past that Defines Thee||Defeat any Colossi While in Reminiscence Mode|
|Five-Lined Skink||Collect a Silver Lizard Tail|
|Animals of the Land||Interact with a Dove, Hawk, Fish, and Turtle|
|Boon of the Nomad||Find Barrel in Hidden Cave|
|Trick Arrow Skills||Shoot a Lizard with a Special Arrow|
|Valley of the Wanderer||Defeat the 1st Colossus|
|The Mammoth||Defeat the 2nd Colossus|
|Wake the Knight||Defeat the 3rd Colossus|
|Land of the Gravestones||Defeat the 4th Colossus|
|Riding the Wind||Defeat the 5th Colossus|
|Tomb of the Giant||Defeat the 6th Colossus|
|Waves of Lightning||Defeat the 7th Colossus|
|Scaler of the Colosseum||Defeat the 8th Colossus|
|Lurker of the Cave||Defeat the 9th Colossus|
|Mystery in the Sand||Defeat the 10th Colossus|
|Guardian and the Pit||Defeat the 11th Colossus|
|Thunder of the Lake||Defeat the 12th Colossus|
|Signs amidst the Storm||Defeat the 13th Colossus|
|Shield of the Colossus||Defeat the 14th Colossus|
|Valley of the Fallen||Defeat the 15th Colossus|
|Last of the Colossus||Defeat the 16th Colossus|
The game received massive support in its first trailer. Metacritic's 74 reviewers also gave the game an average of 92.
- In the forest near Barba, there is a small cave with a barrel, a reference to The Last Guardian.
- On the beach, you will be able to find a watermelon, which of course, is a reference to Ico's watermelon ending.