Path to the Colossus
- See also: Map for this path
Head north from the Shrine and take the west landbridge - your sword will direct you from there. You should see a giant gray cloud in the distance; that's where you're headed. A small but deep canyon separates you and the geyser field, so look for a land bridge to get across.The air in the geyser field is too smoggy and dark for the sword to work, so you'll have to find the colossus yourself. Familiarize yourself with this area if this is your first time here. Once you're ready, head over to the cave, which can be found at the east end of the field.
After a four-battle absence, Agro finally gets to give you some help, and this time you're going to need it. Basaran will frequently lift up its head and shoot five extremely fast electrical missiles at you. Agro can just barely dodge these at top speed. The colossus is fully armored on its tarantula-like legs. As you might have suspected, the geysers dotting the field are the key to getting on its back. Your goal is to get the colossus right above one of the geysers when they erupt. Use the L1 button (by default) to keep the camera on the colossus as you lure it towards one.
Once the colossus is in position, keep it over the geyser by circling around it. Don't go too far away, however; the colossus will still not be vulnerable once the geyser goes off. The force of the water will propel part of the colossus upwards, but two of its legs will still be anchored to the ground. You must shoot out the glowing areas on the bottom of each leg. If you can't get to them before the geyser dies down again, try to keep the colossus over the geyser until it erupts again (the above walkthrough video provides a good example of this).
Once successful, the colossus will finally roll over to a point where you can climb it. It has fur on its ventral (belly) side, so climb it and make your way to its shell. Once you're there, the colossus will get back on its feet. Don't get tossed off in the process; there's not too many places on its rock shell to hang onto besides the rim. Carefully walk towards the head, and be prepared for the colossus to shake you off at every chance. The rim around its head seems like a tempting spot to recover, but it's not recommended (see below).
- Time Attack times (Normal, Hard): 7:30, 5:30
Tips and tricks
- While it's still in the cave, it's possible to launch off of Agro straight onto its bent lower leg, and jump onto its shell.
- If Basaran rears its head up while Wander is on the lower "rim" of his head, Wander may get thrown extremely high into the air.
- As Basaran rises up from its cavern, A Violent Encounter plays.
- Once Basaran collapses onto its side, Revived Power plays. This continues to play until Basaran falls.
- Basaran is one of 4 colossi that use ranged attacks.
- Basaran is the first of 3 colossi that requires Agro to defeat. Basaran isn't the first colossus capable of injuring Agro, but she is at greater risk than in the two fights she participated in previously; Quadratus and Phaedra can both hurt her, although typically Agro is fast enough to escape their attacks. It is much more likely that Basaran will hit Agro and therefore injure her than in the previous two fights she was involved in. However, any injury Agro does receive is only temporary and has no long-lasting effect.
- Standing at roughly 75ft/22.9m tall, Basaran is far from the tallest of colossi, but at 160ft/48.8m in length, it is the fourth longest of all 16 and by far the longest of all the quadrupedal colossi.
- Basaran is probably one of the most disliked of all the colossi, due to how difficult it can be to get it to walk directly over the geysers as they erupt, since Wander and Agro must travel a fairly long distance to get him to walk onto the geyser, and Basaran will often walk further than the player intended. Also, it can hit both Wander and Agro from massive distances using his projectile attack, exacerbated by the fact that there is no cover on the lakebed. This is not to say it isn't without its defenders, however, as some fans claim this colossus to be challenging and fun, rather than annoying and frustrating.
- Basaran shares some similarities with the colossi that it immediately follows; Kuromori. Both Kuromori and Basaran, while being two of the six quadrupedal colossi, are the only two whose legs extend out to the side of their bodies rather than directly downwards, as is the case with all the other quadrupeds. This gives them both a distinctly lizard-like like gait, and makes them appear more reptilian. Both have to be attacked around the feet in order to tip them over to gain access to their weakpoint sigils, both use long range projectile attacks, and both are viewed as being highly aggressive. Finally, both Kuromori and Basaran have heavily armoured and ridged backs.
- Basaran also shares something in common with Quadratus; they both have weakpoints located on the bottom of their feet which must be exploited in order to gain access to their weakpoint sigils. They also share a similar attack; rearing up on their hind legs and slamming down to cause damage. Lastly, during both the fights the same two tracks play, namely A Violent Encounter and Revived Power.
- Basaran roars very aggressively for the entirety of the time it fights; the noise is very similar to the roar of Argus.
- Interestingly enough, if any of Basaran's feet are shot by the player, they will never have to be shot again. For example: if Basaran is being pushed up by a geyser, and both its left feet are uncovered, and the player shoots them, Basaran will tip over and fall like normal. Once Basaran gets back up - if the player falls off - the player can lead Basaran to a geyser, and if Basaran begins leaning on its left feet again, it will simply tip over, without any attacking from the player. This is very useful if the player is having a hard time remaining on Basaran. In fact, it will still tip over, even on its other side on its own, regardless of which two feet you shot first.
|Main Items||Power-ups ( Lizard · Fruit ) · Weapons ( Ancient Sword · Bow & Arrow )|
|Colossi||I · II · III · IV · V · VI · VII · VIII · IX · X · XI · XII · XIII · XIV · XV · XVI|
|Gameplay||Hard Mode · Save shrines · Time Attack · Reminiscence Mode|