Avion is the nickname given to the fifth colossus. Resembling a bird of prey, this agile colossus is found in a foggy lake in quadrant H4, perched atop one of several tall ruins jutting from the waters.
Path to the Colossus
- See also: Map for this path
Avion is directly east of the shrine, as your sword will tell you. Nothing fancy here - just head east as the cliffside path becomes narrow. When it widens again, you're almost there. If you get lost, find a sunlit spot near the cliff's edge - the sword's light will direct you to the lake. There is also a Save Shrine and a Fruit tree. It is highly recommended to eat the fruit and save your game because this colossus can attack suddenly and take away some life. You will have to leave Agro behind. The way east into the lake proper seems blocked off, but diving underwater (the same button you use to grab; by default) will reveal an arch you can swim through. On the other side, you will see a pillar with ledges, so climb up to the top and walk towards the balcony overlooking the ruins.
Initially, Avion will do nothing but watch you from its lofty perch. Shooting it with an arrow, however, will drastically change its disposition; a direct hit will cause the giant bird to take to the skies and eventually divebomb you. The lake is dotted with several platforms in sets of three just barely sticking out of the water; you will want to be on the middle platform when Avion swoops down for you. Be sure to hold to hang on - it's a long way down if you get shaken off, and you may not be so fortunate as to hit water.
Keep your grip as the colossus soars through the air. Let your stamina recharge when you can, but keep your finger over . The weakpoint on its tail is somewhat easy to take out, but its wings are very dangerous - a reasonably-charged stab will usually result in Avion doing an extended barrel roll in the air, leaving you hanging upside-down on the tip of its wing. If your stamina runs low, quickly retreat to safety once its wings spread out.
- Time Attack time (both difficulties): 5:30
Tips and tricks
- It's possible to land on top of one of the big buildings after falling off, the Cloth of Desperation can be a great help. If the colossus is provoked with an arrow from there, it will not swoop down to attack, but will get close to Wander and flap its wings violently, creating a strong gust of wind that will likely knock him back into the lake below.
- After stabbing any sigil on Avion's wings, Avion will perform a barrel roll to try and get Wander off. If the player is careful, it is possible to let go of its wing and land right on Avion's back. This gives the player extra time to regain stamina before attacking the sigil again.
Origin of given and Latin name
- Note that both the given names and the Latin names of the colossi are fictional. They are only used by fans due to the popularity of these names and are not official.
- Avion simply means "bird" in Latin. It also means "airplane" in French, Spanish and Romanian though in Spanish it's written Avión.
- Avis is just another form of "avion", and also means bird.
- Praeda means "prey" in Latin, making this colossus the "Bird of Prey".
- Upon sighting Avion, Silence plays. It also plays if Wander falls from Avion.
- Once Wander hitches onto Avion, A Despair-filled Farewell plays.
- Avion is one of only 2 colossi who has a visible, mobile mouth. Dirge also has a moving mouth located on its underside.
- Avion is arguably the second most peaceful of all the colossi; it only retaliates after being hit itself. Incidentally, the most peaceful colossus is also the only other one that flies: Phalanx.
- Avion is the most easternly situated of all the colossi. On the map, Avion's lair is in line with Dirge (Dirge is in B4 while Avion is in H4; there are no other colossi in between them), although the two are at completely opposite sides of the map. Putting Avion and Dirge in such positions may have been intentional, as the two are quite different to each other in a number of ways. Avion flies, lives above a lake close to the Shrine of Worship and is relatively peaceful until it is provoked. Dirge on the other hand lives underground in a cave within the sand far away from the Shrine of Worship and is probably one the most aggressive colossi in the game, as it is constantly trying to kill Wander.
- Avion is roughly 140 ft/42.7m long, with a wingspan of about 116 ft/35.4m.
- Avion is one of the fastest of the colossi, and potentially the fastest of all 16.
- Avion is a popular colossi amongst fans due to the experience of having to cling onto it whilst Avion circles the lake at high speed with "A Despair-Filled Farewell" playing.
- Avion makes a lot of bird-like screeching calls, which bear a passing resemblance to the cry of a falcon.
- If Avion is stabbed on the part of the wing near its head, it will screech and turn its head to look at you.
- If the player doesn't fire an arrow at Avion and leaves it perched on the tower that it begins on, Avion will not move, regardless of how close to that tower you get. If you do this, Avion will watch you swim around the lake from its perch in a similar manner to how Malus follows Wanders movement (unlike Malus however, Avion is able to freely rotate through 360 degrees and won't attack on sight as Malus will).
- Avion is the only colossus where Wander doesn't attack a part of its body that would be anatomically fatal. All other colossi are stabbed in the head, spine, or chest, but Avion is only being stabbed at the tips of its wings and tail, thereby terminating its balance and flight.
- Avion is one of only two colossi who has three major sigils in Normal Mode. Phalanx is the other. Hydrus and Malus each have three minor sigils, but not three major.
- In the 2005 E3 demo version of the game, if you look at the statues in the shrine of worship, Avion was the 4th colossus and Phaedra was the 5th.
- Interestingly enough, the song Silence plays during the battles with Avion, Hydrus and Phalanx, arguably the 3 most peaceful colossi in the game.
|Main Items||Power-ups ( Lizard · Fruit ) · Weapons ( Ancient Sword · Bow & Arrow )|
|Colossi||I · II · III · IV · V · VI · VII · VIII · IX · X · XI · XII · XIII · XIV · XV · XVI|
|Gameplay||Hard Mode · Save shrines · Time Attack · Reminiscence Mode|